About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm an avid sports and movie fan, and I love statistical analysis of almost anything.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

What is Wrong with Leafs Fans?

The Leafs will not make the playoffs this season. If you’re a typical Leafs fan, holding out hopes until the bitter end, I’ll dash those shortly. Fans are still tuning in though, and still showing up at the rink. Why?

Here is a list of required outcomes in the remaining 18 games that would result in the Leafs having over a 50% chance of making the playoffs (courtesy of www.sportsclubstats.com). Clearly a team that goes 16-2 will achieve the same points as a team that goes 15-1-2, but why list both when the outcome is the same?

18-0-0 = 101 Final Points
17-0-1 = 100 Final Points
17-1-0 = 99 Final Points
16-1-1 = 98 Final Points
15-1-2 = 97 Final Points
15-2-1 = 96 Final Points
14-2-2 = 95 Final Points
14-3-1 = 94 Final Points
13-3-2 = 93 Final Points
13-4-1 = 92 Final Points
12-4-2 = 91 Final Points
12-5-1 = 90 Final Points
11-4-3 = 90 Final Points

Finishing with 90 points would give the Leafs about a 57% chance of making the playoffs. According to the above-mentioned site, there’s roughly a 1-in-7 chance of that happening. Their highest 18-game point total over any 18-game period this season is 22 (the 18 games to start the season, and games 34/35/36/37 through 51/52/53/54). In order to have a 57% at making the playoffs, the Leafs need to play 13.6% better in the next 18 games than they have during any 18-game stretch this season.

The picture I’m painting is so bleak; it’s pointless to continue illustrating. The fans are booing, or calling for the coach’s head en mass, or calling the local sports radio station(s) to complain.

It’d be nice if Leaf management/ownership needed to show fans that they are aware of their disappointment, that they are willing to do what it takes to win, and that they aren’t satisfied with the status quo, either. The fact of the matter is they don’t. Fans tune in regardless.

Why on earth do the good people of The Greater Toronto Area continue to support this calamity of an organization? I understand being faithful to your team, but hypothetically,  replace team with girlfriend—would you continue to date her if she consistently treated you like garbage, and then offered flimsy excuses and empty promises for change? I certainly hope not. So why is it different with the Leafs?

I don’t get nearly enough comments on this blog. That could be because I have 11 followers and less than 1,000 page views, but I would love to know why Leafs fans are still in what can only be described as an abusive relationship. Even if you aren’t a Leaf fan, but you have a theory or theories, I’d love to hear them. I am honestly confused. 

3 comments:

  1. I think the proper question is why are people so surprised the Leafs are not going to make the playoffs again? Why get all riled up over a team that was not well put together from day 1. I still watch the Leafs because although it is poor hockey I am still a hockey fan. Why do we put up with it every year you ask? I am not sure but I can put it to you this way. I was on the subway once and a four hundred pound man was making out with a three hundred pound woman. I wanted to look away but couldn't because I was entranced by its awfulness. Maybe that is the case with the Leafs we can't look away because it is so bad. Really though we have to hope it can be better because otherwise why support them. On the flipside I need to watch hockey what team deserves my love? Any team I pick would be bandwagon at this point and that is not my style. So I watch and get mad and watch and get mad but I watch so when the time comes 40 years from now when we win the cup I can say I never wavered. Pick up a number 1 goalie and this conversation is moot. keep this blog up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The girlfriend analogy... doesn't work without acknowledging that men are willing to put up with practically anything for the sexual/status benefits of a chick with big, you know... etc. To some extent the concept works with the leafs. We love them. We love to hate them. We love to complain about them to our friends. But the history is so deep. They're all we've got. We wish they'd change; make it easier on us. We live for the fleeting moments that they perform like champs. But they're only champs in the bedroom.... I lost the comparison there. Leafs suck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a simple matter of economics. Corporations would never boycott because there is too much client appreciation for being offered tickets (according to the web that 10% of the ACC). The other 90% are the so called "regular folk." No matter how rich these people are, the majority of them will put a bum in their seats. If they have dough, they'll give the tickets away to a colleague or friend and MAKE THAT PERSON'S DAY, otherwise (that individual would be spending over $250 a ticket not to mention parking, beers, souvenirs etc.) If these season ticket holders could use a little extra cash, they sell these tickets because of the excess demand in this city for pro hockey. There are thousands of young fathers out there that are chomping at the bit for an opportunity to take their young sons to their first Leaf game, and unfortunately, a face value ticket offered from an acquaintance is that opportunity.

    Not until there's another team in the GTA will this change. The Leafs will sell out every game and Leaf fans will have to put up with it. Unfortunately this will continue to make economic sense for MLSE.

    ReplyDelete